K9 Nose Work® NW3 & Elite Division Trials
June 23-25, 2017
Leslie High School
4141 Hull Road
Leslie, MI 49251
Please Note: It is not appropriate to visit the trial location prior to the trial date, nor should training take place on trial grounds once an event is approved/announced. Our locations are real life search environments where people work, go to school, etc. Pre-trial visits risk the host losing the opportunity to use the location again in the future.
Pawsitive K-9 Obedience, LLC
Elite Division Trial: Friday, June 23, 2017
NW3 Trial: Saturday, June 24, 2017
NW3 Trial: Sunday, June 25, 2017
Elite Division: $125 per dog/handler team
NW3 Trial: $125 per dog/handler team
Number of Entries:
Elite Division: 25 per day
NW3 Trial: 30 per day
Payable to Pawsitive K-9 Obedience, LLC
(payable via Paypal or credit card through the Paypal site - no Paypal account required)
($3.25 Paypal fee)
One dog per handler per level
Registration Entry and Closing
PLEASE NOTE: The NW3 below is being linked to the June 18, 2017 NW3 in Crystal Lake IL. For these linked trials, all entrants will be included in the first draw for all trials that they enter. However, no person can accept a space in more than one of these trials until all 1st dog/handler teams have received a space in one of the trials. If a person already has a confirmed space in a trial and is selected in the draw for another trial, or comes to the top of the wait list for the other trial and is offered a space, then they will need to drop the space in the trial they are currently entered in (processing/cancellation fees listed in the trial premium apply) in order to accept the space in the other trial. Once all 1st dog/handler teams are accommodated then any remaining spaces can be offered to 2nd dog/handler teams based on their draw order.
● Trial entry will open on Wednesday, April 26, 2017 at 12:00 pm EST. Entries will be awarded by random draw of all entries received between 12:00 pm EST, April 26, 2017 and 12:00 pm EST April 28, 2017.
● Trial entry will close when entries fill after the draw period or 12:00 pm EST on June 9, 2017.
● NACSW reserves the right to cancel a trial if minimum entry numbers are not met. The trial host of an event has the right to refuse entry of any competitor or dog for just cause as approved by the National Trial Committee. Just cause includes lack of adherence to NACSW rules and guidelines and the policies outlined in each event entry premium.
● Note: We will not be taking payment until you are given a space in the trial. If you are given a space in the trial, you will receive information on how to submit payment. You will then have 48 hours to complete your payment to confirm your space in the trial.
All registration will be on-line via the link provided to the NACSW™ trial registration form. Paper and phone entries will not be accepted. Completing the form is not a guarantee of entry. You will receive an auto-response email confirming that we received your trial entry after registration - this email does not confirm your space in the trial. There will be a separate confirmation from firstname.lastname@example.org to let you know if your entry has been given a space in the trial.
Trial spaces will be awarded in the following manner:
● Spaces will be awarded by a random draw of all Qualified Entries (see below) received between 12:00 pm Eastern Time, April 26, 2017 and 12:00 pm Eastern Time, April 28, 2017.
● In the event that you are having technical difficulties with the entry system, please email trialEntry@nacsw.net prior to the end of the draw period.
● If a trial level is not full after the draw of Qualified Entries, then there will be a Secondary Draw of any entries received that did not meet the ORT or title requirements. These entries will be accepted pending completion of the requirements.
Note: If you are entered in another trial before this one and earn the title for the level you are entering (NW3 Elite for NW3 competitors or Elite CH for Elite competitors) at this trial, you will forfeit your space in this trial. You may request that the host add you to the list of those wishing to run their dog For Exhibition Only (FEO), in which case you may be given a space in the trial if space remains after all Qualified Entries are accommodated. If you earn the title level after the refund period has ended then you must contact the trial host at: email@example.com within 48 hrs of earning your title and at least 72 hours before the trial you are registered for to let them know you are no longer eligible. If you contact the host within 48 hrs of titling and at least 72 hours before their trial and (1) they are unable to fill your space then you won’t be given a refund but will be allowed to keep your space in the trial and run your dog FEO or (2) they are able to fill your space then a refund will be issued minus the processing fee listed in the cancellation policy. If you fail to contact the host within 48 hours of earning your title and at least 72 hours before the trial you are registered for then you will forfeit your space, you will not be allowed to run as FEO, and no refund will be issued.
● After all entries received during the draw period are processed, if the trial level is still not full, entries will continue to be accepted in the order they are received through the closing date or when entries fill.
● You may enter multiple dogs for entry in the draw. However, only one dog/handler per title level will be accepted into the trial. Entry will go to the dog selected in the draw – you may not swap to an alternate dog. In the event that multiple dogs are selected in the draw, you may select which dog you wish to enter. Once a dog has been entered as a second dog/handler entry, you may not swap handlers after the draw to change the entry to a first dog/handler unless the trial is not full. Second dog/handler entries on the alternate NW3 day may be accepted after all first dog/handler entries received by April 30, 2017 are accommodated.
● No dog will be given a space in more than one day of any given trial weekend.
● Some trial entries may be given priority entry based on contributions to the organization and the trial process.
● If space remains after all qualified first and second dog entries are accommodated on May 10, 2017, then we may accept entries for those who wish to run a dog for Exhibition Only (FEO). Dogs running FEO are not be eligible to receive title or placement ribbons. FEO results will not be included in the posted trial results.
A Qualified Entry is one that meets all of the following criteria
1. Complete the on-line trial entry between 12:00 pm Eastern time April 26, 2017 and 12:00 pm Eastern Time April 28, 2017.
2. The Handler is a NACSW™ member for the 2016-2017 membership year (8/1/16- 7/ 31/17).
3. The Dog is registered with the NACSW™
4. Dogs participating in a trial must be at least one year of age.
5. The Dog has passed the appropriate ORT and prior title level at least 14 days before the trial opens for entries.
6. The Dog has earned the appropriate ORT and prior title level at least 3 days prior to the trial date. Please note: If the required title or ORT was earned less than 14 days prior to the event, it is the competitor’s responsibility to provide proof of the ORT or title to the event host in the form of a score book or a photo of the official results.
7. Qualified entry for NW1 – Dog has not yet earned a NW1 title level.
8. Qualified entry for NW2 – Dog has earned a NW1 title level and has not yet earned a NW2 title.
9. Qualified entry for NW3 – Dog has earned a NW2 title and has not yet earned the NW3 Elite title level.
10. Qualified entry for Elite - Dog has earned a NW3 elite title. Any dog that has earned their ELT-CH title AND has trialed 6 times during the 2019 National Invitational qualifying period (July 1, 2017 to June 30, 2019) will only be offered a space in an Elite trial if space remains after all qualified entries have been accommodated. If the dog has earned the ELT-CH title and has not yet trialed 6 times during the qualifying period, then the dog is eligible to compete in trials until 6 trials have been completed. If the dog has already trialed 6 times during the qualifying period when the ELT-CH title is earned, then the dog can only be offered a space in an Elite trial if space remains after all qualified entries have received a space in the trial.
You will be notified via e-mail of the results of the random draw by 9:00 PM Eastern Time May 3, 2017. If you are given a space in the trial, you will receive information on how to submit payment. You will then have 48 hours to complete your payment to confirm your space in the trial.
A waiting list for alternates will be started as soon as entries fill.
Alternates will be contacted when a space opens up. Note: Depending on last minute trial logistics, we may opt to not fill all canceled spaces.
Be sure you read and understand the guidelines for this trial before entering. By submitting a registration for this NACSW™ Trial, you acknowledge that you have read, understand, and accept the policies and liability information of NACSW™.
The following cancellation policy applies:
For cancellation of entries on or before 5:00 pm Eastern Time June 9, 2017 – Full refund minus $15 processing fee.
For cancellation of entries after 5:00 pm Eastern Time June 9, 2017 - no refunds will be issued.
All cancellations must be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Entry fees shall not be refunded in the event that a dog is absent, disqualified, or excused by the NACSW™ official or judge.
This cancellation and refund policy applies to competitors that must withdraw for any reason including but not limited to injury, illness, emergency, and personal or work-related reasons.
No part of the fee will be refunded if the trial cannot take place or be completed by reason of fire, civil disturbances, an Act of God, public emergency, or any other cause beyond the control of the trial organizers.
Modeled after real-life detection work, K9 Nose Work® trials are held in many different locations, with a variety of terrain, under varying weather conditions. Dogs and handlers need to be able to safely negotiate a variety of surfaces, including, but not limited to, tile, linoleum, carpeting, gravel, asphalt, uneven surfaces, and slippery footing. Handlers should be prepared to deal with a variety of weather conditions, including heat, cold, rain and snow. Trials frequently require covering extensive distances to get to and from the parking area to each of the search areas and generally require that this be done across natural, uneven surfaces. Handlers should be prepared for the physical demands and must be able to navigate the terrain with their dog accordingly. Participants should expect to spend most of the day outside or in their vehicles as there are rarely indoor crating options at trials. Please be prepared for you and your canine partner to deal with all of these varying environmental challenges. Handlers agree that they are entering this trial at their own risk. The trial location is a high school with a paved parking lot as well as stairs/elevator inside.
By registering for the trial, the competitor hereby assumes all risks of, and responsibility for, accidents and/or damage to her/himself or to her/his property or to others, resulting from the actions of her/his dog. The competitor expressly agree that the NACSW™, Pawsitive K-9 Obedience, LLC, and its assignees or any other person, or persons, of said groups, shall not be held liable personally, or collectively, under any circumstances, for injury, and/or damage to her/himself, for loss or injury to property, whether due to uncontrolled dogs or negligence of any member of said groups, or any other cause, or causes. The competitor also agrees to assume all financial liability that may be incurred by the NACSW™ due to the actions of themselves or their dogs regardless of the cause.
● All dogs must be on a 6’ leash at all times when not being tested. NO flexi-leashes while not participating in a competition search.
● Reactive and/or spatially challenged dogs should wear a red bandana (to be provided by the dog’s handler) to help signal others that the dog needs extra space.
● Dogs will be toileted in designated areas and handlers must pick-up and dispose of waste.
● Dogs and handlers must stay in designated areas to avoid contaminating testing space, interrupting a test, or from viewing any part of the testing.
● Please leave un-entered dogs at home.
● Competitors should expect to keep their dogs confined in a crate or vehicle when not competing. The logistics of a trial typically do not allow for dogs to hang out on leash in between searches. Competitors should plan to provide their own shade using canopies or shade cloths.
Females in Season:
Will be allowed to run wearing “pants” at the very end of the running orders after all other dogs have been judged. Females in season will be parked and pottied in areas separate from the other dogs while at the trial if the location logistics permit. Handlers must contact email@example.com so plans can be made for the dog.
RV parking is available at this trial site, however it is limited. To reserve a space you will need to contact the host after you receive a confirmation that you have received a space in the trial.
Smoking is not allowed on this trial site, including the use of e-cigarettes.
All competitors/handlers and spectators are expected to follow the rules of the NACSW™ and demonstrate good sportsmanship. This includes making sure the hide placements are unknown to the handler prior to testing and kept secret from other competitors. Please do not discuss hide placement or any details of a dog's performance that may provide information or clues to other handlers or may be overheard.
Remember to bring your NACSW™ Scorebook to the trial if you wish to have your trial results recorded for your own records in your score book. If you bring your scorebook it is your responsibility to pick it up before leaving the trial site. It is not the responsibility of the host or NACSW to return score books or score sheets that are left behind or to mail ribbons that are not picked up.
Family members and friends are welcome to watch certain elements if there is appropriate viewing space for a gallery that will not interfere with the dog working or the judging. Limits may be put on the number of spectators depending on the turn out. Children under 18 must be directly supervised at all times. Spectators MUST check-in at registration, sign a waiver, and get a name badge. No dogs will be allowed in the spectator area. No unentered dogs are allowed at the trial. Spectators are reminded that the hide placements must not be discussed nor should they speak with any competitors about what they saw until after the trial is complete. Competitors are not allowed to watch the trial at any time.
Video Taping and Photography:
At this time, competitors may be allowed to take videos and photos of the search areas during the competitor walk through in order to help familiarize themselves with the search area. Due to site privacy issues or time constraints, competitors may not be allowed to photograph or video a search area during the walk through. At the host's discretion, a photographer and/or video service may be present during the trial to offer photos and/or videos for sale to the competitors.
As a condition of your entry, you agree to allow NACSW™, or their agents, to video you and your dog, during the entirety of the NACSW™ event. These videos are the property of NACSW™. All competitors, through entry at any NACSW™ event, waive any and all rights relative to video broadcast or photography of such event.
Hotels and Directions:
A list of area hotels and directions will be provided with the confirmation information.
All trial related questions, contact Angie at firstname.lastname@example.org